View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #34
jdostie
Dojo: Aikido of Livermore
United_States
Re: Chen Style Seminar Video

Quote:
Hunter Lonsberry wrote: View Post
Sure, I can accept that he allows himself to get popped up at that point to illustrate a prinicple of movement. Now I've dropped all sorts of hints already (I think more than a few people can follow), but how is what happens at 3:45 related to what happens at the 3:00 mark? What do both indicate about Chalandra?

This isn't about me and what I can do. I will say this, for the aunkai "mabu walking", Forest Chang's I dream of jeanie exercise, or various other peoples exercises where they place a bo on their bellies and have to walk, you will find it much easier to do if you can figure out how to arrange yourself "internally" so that it feels as though all your weight is in that front foot. I doubt in reality that 100% of the weight actually goes into it, maybe just a few percent. Given what I've said above you can probably come to a conclusion as to wether or not I can or can not....

Mike Sigman wrote a whole bunch of stuff on this topic here and elswhere. It is easiest to ground a push into the rear leg, later on you can figure out how to get it into the front, though ideally I feel that you want both feet to feel "heavy" at all times, even if one foot is off the ground. Now I don't want to give too much away (though I gave away a lot already with respect to one mechanic) as I won't post an analysis for this video for a while as I would rather spur discussion on it by all the various people on this board.

Since you are familiar with grounding into the rear foot, what might change if that were to come from the front? What might change if both feet are "heavy"?

I don't disagree, but why does he have to do it? Remember what happens at both 3:00 and later at 3:45 . (I gave it away...)

Of course I don't expect him to look exactly like a big name chen, but what about his movement indicates that he is or is not moving like a big name chen. I've given some hints one way or the other..

Well, the markers at 3:00 and 3:45 show something particularly important, no scratch that extremely important coupled with what he demos at 3:17
I don't know anything about this stuff, but from what I can see, it looks like he's putting his weight forward and into where he is receiving the push, and applying pressure on a vector from his back leg to his shoulder. What I would do, I think. I'm missing some things here for sure about what 'iis or is not happening, and what should be happening." That's what it looks like to me.

So, is that what you are referring to? At both points, you can see where the stance firms, where it looks like his own energy moment of mass moves slightly forward.

Last edited by jdostie : 04-24-2012 at 10:23 PM.