View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States
Re: I Don't Care That Much

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
However I don't really desire to waste my time with those that really are not committed and only want to come to entertain themselves.
Quote:
Eric Winters wrote: View Post
I also agree with Kevin. I take my budo seriously if you are a person who does not, just train with like minded individuals because you are pretty much wasting our time. I would much rather train with someone not very talented but dedicated to getting better than someone who is not.
I bolded some key words in the above quotes to call attention to an extra dimension you guys are bringing into the conversation that I never really addressed in the blog. You guys aren't talking about telling other people what to do or how to think; you're talking about choosing the kind of people you like to work with. I would never question anyone's right to do that.

I will say, though, that I think there is some area for compromise here. A person doesn't have to make aikido the most important thing in his life to be good at it and to be a good training partner for even the most devoted aikidoists.