View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #284
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Is It Missing In Everybody's Aikido?

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
"Repugnant"? Ok, then, out of your own mouth...

I'm not sure where you're making the connection between my citing a statement by one philosopher and your uncle's madness. Perhaps your personal family tragedy has caused you to have an aversion to all things philosophical, much as someone who has lost a loved one in a plane crash might fear and hate all things relating to aviation. Much as I can sympathize with the feeling, and moreso with the events that give rise to it, I can't regard it as rational and sensible -- understandable, yes; sensible, no. I'm not telling you not to feel what you feel, but you might want to consider that your personal history is not shared by others, and that most others probably see some usefulness in philosophy. I'm not a navel-gazer, myself, but I find from time to time that a philosopher's words will help to distill or illuminate life experiences. Of course, without the life experiences to reflect on, it's all pretty empty to me. I find it very much like training in that regard: a whole lotta training, and then a little thinking to reflect on it (in terms of time spent), is about the right mix for me.

...and casual websearch on Barack Obama unveils that he is an illegal immigrant and an Islamist terrorist. Isn't the web wonderful?

Perhaps the joke is on the one who turned the subject to jokes in the first place.

Bless your heart!
Mary,

I don't know you, and you most certainly do not know me. I will refrain from replying to you in this thread, as from what I can tell you are seemingly more committed to meaningless attack and defense of issues and not really forwarding the topic. Perhaps you can take that as constructive criticism, but somehow I imagine, not...

However, should you care to drop that posture I may choose to chime back in, in your direction.

...best in training to you, and all.

PS - you were more than wrong in all of your stated assumptions. To illustrate the point, my uncle loved philosophy and was a much-beloved philosopher, musician, teacher, family man and all around person. What I said is that while it didn't prepare him for life, nor save his mind in the end, he never abandoned it, only revised it. As for me, I haven't abandoned philosophy by any means, as it is the crux around which I have built my life and martial arts practice. At the same time I am intimately aware that it is a crux, not a crutch with which I beat others over their head... at least any more...

As for your lame, "bless your heart" comment... Wouldn't that presuppose that I happen to have one? Like I said, you really don't know me at all...

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.