View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Eric in Denver
Dojo: Ronin
United_States
Ueshiba's Golden Lights

I am currently reading a book by Yang Jwing-Ming called "Qigong. The Secret of Youth: Da Mo's Muscle/Tendon Changing and Marrow/Brain Washing Classics." Interestingly, the author at one point states:

"In still meditation training, at some point when you are able to lead the Qi upward to nourish the brain, you will suddenly feel a 'lightening' in your brain. This may be caused by the extra Qi energizing inactive brain cells. Your mind perceives this as light (golden light). When you can sense this light, your brain is highly energized. You are now able to lead this Qi to the Shen in the "Shen valley" to raise up the spirit."

This reminded me of the following quote attributed to Ueshiba:

"...I felt the universe suddenly quake, and that a golden spirit sprang up from the ground, veiled my body, and changed my body into a golden one. At the same time my body became light. I was able to understand the whispering of the birds, and was clearly aware of the mind of God, the creator of the universe.

At that moment I was enlightened: the source of budo is God's love - the spirit of loving protection for all beings... Budo is not the felling of an opponent by force; nor is it a tool to lead the world to destruction with arms. True Budo is to accept the spirit of the universe, keep the peace of the world, correctly produce, protect and cultivate all beings in nature.
"

I must say that I found it surprising that, once again, something that seemed so unique to Ueshiba's spirituality may be common place in Qi training. Or IS training, however we want to phrase it.

I can also see how the language can get confusing. Here we have golden lights as a byproduct of moving Qi, but we also have this quote from Ueshiba in which he clearly attaches a moral awakening to the event.

So, what I am wondering, is there a way to disentangle the two to make communication about aiki/IS/Qi training versus spiritual enlightenment here on aikiweb a little less like a train wreck?