View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #162
jackie adams
Re: The Founder's Teaching Ability

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Jackie:

I think that the bulk of the historical work that is out there does not concur with your position. I would suggest that you read Stanley Pranin's works regarding the interviews with Daito-ryu and Aikido teachers. O'Sensei modified what he learned from Sokaku Takeda. He did not figure things out on his own and became enlightened after learning directly from Takeda.

Teachers are frequently assessed by their ability to transfer information. This ability is typically assessed by the degree to which their students can demonstrate the knowledge/abilities/information learned. Using that as a measure, O'Sensei did not have good teaching abilities. His own students frequently commented on how difficult it was to learn from him. This pattern appeared to be made worse by a significantly lessened involvement in teaching Aikido after WWII. He appeared to be following his own unique path and shared what he did when others were around him. This is very different than someone who is simply dedicated to teaching others. In my opinion, you seem to be idolizing O'Sensei.

Marc Abrams
If I could have stated things as well as Mr. Gano did,I would have. Not having the gift of gab, I would like to point to Mr. Gano explanation. The way he put things is way better than how I put it. Please don't confuse Mr. Gano for me, even if point to his explanation. It would not be fair to him.

As I respect your comment, please feel assured I am responding in the context of the original question. Yes, the Founder had teaching skill, otherwise Aikido would have died shortly after it's birth. No, I don't believe he held anything back from his students. Despite the arguments his students never came close in reaching the same level of proficiency as he did. I am not judging the Founder on the opinions of his students abilities. If anyone is to judge his students abilities it would be the Founder.

I would like to close with this thought. Today, Aikido an international organization existing for decades with hundreds of thousand students who have passed through its door and thousands more passing through right now. The future is still bright for Aikido, I don't see this star dying soon.