View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #45
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: bokken strike style

Quote:
Patrick de Block wrote: View Post
I have never trained with Saito nor with anyone who trained with him. Take my comments with a grain of salt, since I am Tomiki 'style'. Tomiki talked about Aiki Age and Aiki Sage, or rising and falling energy and that's what I saw.
Hi Patrick

Do you have a reference where it clearly says that Tomiki used those terms. What I have are people relating basic Tomiki exercises to those principles but I am drawing a blank with regard to what he said. If you have a reference that I've missed it would make my day.

Another interesting point is that different Aikido styles are affected by how sword work was learnt and how that knowledge was applied. If you were to talk about sword work of Tomiki's koryu goshin no kata one really has to consider Ohba's adeptness with the sword and where he learnt it. He was considered a superior swordsman. A similar thought has to be applied to Kobayashi H. who was a far better swordsman than certain other aikido teachers famous for the weapons work (a paraphrased quote).

That deviation aside - it can't hurt for any aikido person who enjoys weapons work to spend an afternoon or two doing cutting. Its great fun and does not take much to put things in context. Peter Boylan introduced that to me so many years ago on a get away weekend. I wonder if he remembers that.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido