Thread: Kendo/Iaido
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Kent Enfield

United_States
As someone who practices both kendo and iaido, I'd say do them both. You may like both. You may like neither. If your main goal is to improve your aikido and you can only do one, I suggest that you do kendo.

Now I think I should respond to Craig and Nathan's posts, as it seems they probably havn't actually practiced kendo and there are some, um, misconceptions in their posts.
Quote:
"Craig Hocker (kironin)" wrote:
kendo is a fencing sport about offense. offense. offense.
If by "offense. offense. offense," you mean continuous attacking, this is true at lower levels. It is part of the teaching methodology of kendo. It is about learning proper seme, usually translated as "pressure," but I prefer "assault." The ultimate goal is to develop formidable kiseme. This accomplished by first starting with continuous attacks. This teaches one to recognize suki as well as a crude method to seme. From this one learns to not just to see and seize suki, but to create them. This is sometimes described as waza-seme, pressure/assault with techniques. From one learns more subtle technique and enters into kisaki-seme, assualt with the sword tip. This is the stage at which kendoka seem to constantly feel each other out, jockeying for position with their sword tips constantly moving. From this, they move on to kiseme. This what you see those old guys do where they just cross tips, stand there for a little bit, then one steps in and strikes the other.
Quote:
points gained by wacking with a split bamboo stick (shinai) certain points of the body.
I'd call whacking a gross mischaracterization of kendo technique. Even for beginners, there's a lot going on. But, yes, in competition, points are scored by striking certain points of the body with a shinai. It needs to be done with the correct part of the shinai, with correct edge alignment and motion, making use of ki-ken-tai-itchi (everything in unison), while demonstrating zanshin.

Quote:
ZNKF (if I remember the name correctly) requires at some point that ranked kendo students learn an iai set (setai iai) of 12 kata so that they learn a little about using an actual sword rather than a bamboo stick. There are some kendoka who also study iaido and others who wouldn't know the tsuka from the kissaki. There is also a set of 10 paired kata using bokken (bokuto).
You're mixing Japanese and English. It's either AJKF for All Japan Kendo Federation or ZNKR for Zen Nihon Kendo Renmei. The iaido seiteigata are in no way required for kendo students. They're required for iaido students, naturally. The Nihon Kendo Kata, the 10 paired kata, are required for kendo students. Yes, there are kendo students who wouldn't know what to do with a real sword, though they'd certainly know the tsuka from the kisaki. There are also plenty of kendoka who would be fearsome with a real sword, and have never done iaido, or any other sword art.
Quote:
Competitions with the shinai is generally the central focus of practice rather than handling a sword.
This depends entirely on the dojo. It hasn't been true in the dojo where I've practice.
Quote:
iaido is about defense in a proactive way and learning to handle a traditional Japanese sword in ways based on the old styles.
Iaido kata are about killing other people, ideally before they can even get their hands on their weapon. While the low level kata are all defensive, if you count things like "sensing hostile intent" as a reason to open someone's neck, the upper level kata are for situations like sneaking up behind someone in the dark, pushing through a crowd to cut someone down from behind, and hiding under the porch to literally stab someone in the back. Obviously, most practitioners find something else of value in the practice.
Quote:
Practice involves solo kata with a practice non-sharp metal alloy sword or a sharp steel sword, paired kata using bokken, and cutting practice with appropriate targets. The amount of time spent on each varies with school and organization. Some organizations are involved in competitions - performance of forms or cutting. Others are not.
Finding an iaido school that does more than the solo kata with occasional practice of some of the two person forms by advanced students is very rare indeed.
Quote:
it would be rarer to find, but worthwhile considering legitimate schools of jodo or kenjutsu.
Both of these are very rare in North America, though kendo federation jo is growing in Canada.
Quote:
never believe what you read on a web forum,
True. Again, visit both. Try both.
Quote:
"Nathan gidney" (p00kiethebear)" wrote:
As far as sword teachnique goes, kendo will teach you how to tap things with a stick
This is completely untrue. Even the most competition oriented kendoka is going to do more than tap things with a stick. I suspect Nathan has never actually received one of those "taps."
Quote:
iaido (depending on the school) will teach you how to cut properly and use a blade you can draw. Iaido can also be good for learning how to move on your knees.
Iaido will generally teach you to cut air. It generally won't teach you when and where to cut, as your imaginary opponent is always in the location you want moving at the speed you want.
Quote:
It's kind of hard for me to think of kendo as a martial art, I see it more as a sport. Because that's what it teaches, how to score points.
Never actually done kendo, have you? At least not for any significant length of time.

Kentokuseisei