View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 07:29 AM   #11
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Aikido Separatism / Fundamentalism?

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
As a Shodokan person I have always been treated very well by high ranking Aikikai (and other styles) of Aikido (several at Shihan level) and always let on the mat. In two instances there has been the question of regular training but that really is more to do with serving two masters and under the particular circumstances it worked out for the best. One was an Aikikai Shihan with whom I maintain very cordial relations and the other a Koryu.
I agree totally with Peter and Yann. My own experiences in cross training in Aikido (Aikikai, Ki Society and Yoshinkan) have all been very pleasant and I wouldn't try to exclude either the members or instructors of these dojos from training in my own. We all can learn something from someone imho.

I think Brad had a point with the "competition" thing, especially when I checked the website of the Instructor in question. In most cases I've encountered, the instructors who preach this sort of "you are not worthy" mindset tend to hold dearly onto the Ueshiba M. reference to Aikido not having competition (among a few of the obscure esoteric quotes and beliefs as well). The ignorant ones basically take this as dogma and look no further, however in my experience the majority are at least open to trying to understand the nature of the thing, even if they don't agree with it in the end, which is cool.

However, I've found that many of those who have an open aversion to "competitive Aikido" or its concepts actually compete unofficially in their dojos all the time with their peers for recognition by their Sensei, or to feel that they have a technique better than someone else, or that something is effective against a particular body type etc. But it is not as openly stated and formalised as in Shodokan, that's all. Interesting phenomenon really. I wonder if these same folks would react in the same manner to the embu style competitions found in Shin Shin Toitsu.

Good points all, especially Ian . For some reason I've been encountering this sort of Aiki-purism a lot recently and maybe in my own little reality it's appearing as if this sort of sentiment is becoming more prevalent in the Aikido world. Is it?

Onegaishimasu.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca