View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #6
lbb
United_States
Re: I just want to talk.

Quote:
Joel Martel wrote: View Post
What skills and techniques do you think is most important for a new student to master?
This might seem like an obvious point of interest and concern for a new student, but I think this is putting the cart before the horse. Mastery of even the simplest skill is a long way down the road. A new student should not be concerning him/herself with "mastering" anything, but should simply train. "Yes, yes, but what should I be focusing on, what's most important?" Everything. Eat what's put before you, and don't concern yourself with what bits are "most important" or how fast you can digest it and get on to other material. The things you're learning now ARE the material.

Quote:
What are some of the biggest mistakes you see new students make?
Trying to run before they've learned how to walk, trying to walk before they've learned how to crawl. We all make that one. But the biggest one (and not everyone makes this one) is believing that they "love aikido". It's a bit like believing you love someone that you just met and exchanged greetings with at a cocktail party.

Quote:
How would you address these problems?
Calm down, chill out, throw out the calendar of days until your first test, don't try to make it all mean something. Just train. It'll all come with time.

Quote:
If you had two months to give someone a good foundation, what techniques would you focuse on? Why?
I'd focus on getting this person to understand that this is the wrong approach to take.

Quote:
What was one of the most valuable skills you learned doing aikido?
To just train. Sorry if that sounds like a platitude. Maybe one day it won't.