View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #41
gregg block

United_States
Re: Aikido as External Art -or- Where's the Chewy Center?

Hi dan and kevin,
I appreciate what you both have to say in this matter. I myself subscribe to MMA as being a philosophy I subscribe to. I think it has helped me to be more eclectic and have more options to deal with a variety of situations. However, If one individual learns multiple martial arts over a lifetime that time has to be split among learning different styles and strategies. I think it would be ignorant to think that an individual who spends a lifetime in one art(eg. Aikido) is somehow inferior. After all every style comes from other styles so in a way all practice MMA. This is a discussion that has been going on as long as I have been a martial artist. There are very talented martial artists in all styles and on any given day under any number of possible situations all styles can win or lose. This is a argument which cannot be proven . It would be better that we respect all martial arts as valid and useful. Some styles fit better with some individuals than others. Just as some techniques work better for some individuals than others.