View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #25
Cady Goldfield
United_States
Re: why focus on internal power

I realize that many people practice aikido as a vehicle for the development of spiritual and character qualities. As long as no one gets the idea that they are practicing a -martial- art, that's fine. And if that's the case, the quest to develop pragmatic physical defense skills is not necessary. If your environment doesn't include violent people who are unresponsive to emotional/spiritual appeals, such as those with drug-induced psychosis, hardened street criminals, or such, then you will never need those skills. Actually, I assume -- and am glad -- that none of you live in such an environment. I had to for some years, and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

But you know, Ueshiba could kick butt. He retained the -physical/mechanical- internal skills he learned from Takeda in Daito-ryu, but applied them to advance his later-obtained spiritual purposes. Re-acquiring them into your own aikido would allow you to do the same, and would open up a window to a whole new world that will amaze you with its potential.

Just sayin'.

Last edited by Cady Goldfield : 02-26-2008 at 11:02 AM.