View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #43
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: Progression of Hip/Lower torso movement

So, while I know this thread has been initially about hip-rotation and movement - I think it's turning into a useful debate on what kinds of discussions around "this stuff" are useful online versus what level of stuff has to be felt and vetted in person.

I would posit that for online purposes - there's a level of discussion you can have regarding one's "take", how it ties to traditional views of the subject, where you've made innovations, etc. Just in terms of internal strength. Even in that topic, I look at things from a baseline introduction, then conditioning, then beginning stages of application, since there's so much upfront work to do to rewire the body.

Where I expect some big disagreements, potentially, would be where you integrate the conditioning and skill building aspects of IS into applications, etc. I don't think disagreements in that subject area need to be mutually exclusive with the foundational "here's how it works" discussions. But there should be something of a sequential "Here's how it works at step 1 foundationally, once you achieve X checkpoint of skill/conditioning, you're ready to move into step 2, and so on . ."

But is the internet the right place to have that discussion past even checkpoint 1? I have my doubts. The great thing about the internet for me has been to get some seed info to see about who I can then meet up with in person. So far all have been positive experiences, regardless of my perceptions of their ability, style, system, etc.

But I'm also interested in seeing how far we can push the "how's it work" discussion, with intended follow-ups in person to compare notes, etc. The built in assumption is that people will be bringing their own agendas, assumptions, beliefs and that challenging them/changing them won't necessarily be the outcome - nor should it be, if we're looking at the skillset as "how's it work", "how's it trained", "how's it used/applied"? People will have the choice to buy into the info, then line that up against what they've gotten elsewhere.

Ultimately, words will only get you so far, what you are "shown" will also only get you so far . . you have to take the information in, filter it, practice it like a maniac and make sure the results are in line with your goals/expectations. Comes down to choices, commitments and taking responsibility for your progress.

YMMV