View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #39
chillzATL
United_States
Re: Progression of Hip/Lower torso movement

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Well, that was an interesting way to aproach this.
The ideas, when offered, pretty much run contrary to the norm of most ideas of movement in budo. It has been pretty much proved that since the dawning of the internet that this has led to debate. Sometimes heated debate, from those who do not understand the tenets of this work. Oddly, that never happens in person.
Which led to this....

Can you point to number of threads where this type of material has been debated from discussions between those with an internal approach to movement with those from the external arts, where everyone walks away agreeing?

I think my points were both salient and clear; debating it has not been successful on the net. Awareness of it through hands on work is the best vehicle, and curiously it ends debates and it makes friends.

Hmmm....That was in reference to me talking about real experts showing up to debate your average external guy on the internet and why it would not be productive without prior vetting. And also why I said it was a waste to debate/ argue rather than just state things. You cannot argue this on its merits. The experts would not....waste much time discussing it before they walked away.

Anyway, you don't have my experiences nor have you experienced the debate/ the fall out / and the best methods for true progress in ending them and making friends...from my end.
Anyway, with the current discussion/debate, I'll leave you to your own devices. Sorry for butting in.
Dan
I agree with more of what you said than I disagree. I've read practically all of the history on the subject here and lived the battles through it. The real extent of the "debates", lets call them arguements, have been people who don't know beans about IS telling mostly you and mike, that the stuff you're talking about is BS. For the most part, at least here, we're kind if through the thick of that. There are still doubters, but by and large there a big community of people who are both receptive and in some form or another, working on this stuff.

The other "debates" are mostly just you and Mike. Sometimes people who have taken a side wander in, but it's mostly you and Mike who can't talk to each other, which we can leave at that.

The rest of us, there's no reason we can't have those discussions now. Especially considering the number of people who are doing this stuff these days and should be getting a feel for it on a level that they can talk about it and want too. I think people should want to talk about it, it helps a lot IMO, especially for people who don't have the luxury of regular group meetups..The vocabulary for what everyone is doing is essentially the same. Once you've got a foot in the door it's not hard to understand, sometimes maybe by playing around with it, what the other guy is doing. IMO there is no right or wrong. If someone is doing something and it's working for them, but maybe it's just not what I want to do, cool. There's nothing that says we have to argue over it. Didn't Ueshiba award 10th dan to a Noh dancer? I doubt it was because he thought the dancer could kick ass. It was likely an appreciation of the shared vocabulary they had for using their bodies. Sagawa and Ueshiba didn't throw down when they met, though obviously not doing exactly the same things. We've had a few threads of late that suggest it is more than possible. Some say why, I say... WHY NOT?

Sorry if my post came off a little hot. HUGS.

Last edited by chillzATL : 09-19-2011 at 08:16 PM.