View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 07:47 AM   #147
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Competition in Aikido

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote:
A couple of quick observations (but as they're from a decadent ki-aikido person, please feel free to ignore)

1. Ki "tricks" in competition etc. I've yet to read a convincing argument that anything can be achieved by ki alone (whatever your personal definition of ki actually is), even the best practitioners needed a good solid grounding in the more physical aspects of their arts. Ignoring the physical aspects of your art is just a good way to get a deserved thumping

2. Ki tests in ki-aikido - these are not meant to supplant normal vigorous training, they're meant as an aid to show how you're meant to feel and behave under controlled levels of stress. I've never heard it said that practitioners of other forms of aikido do not use or develop ki [insert personal theory on this here] - it's just a training method we use.
I'll be in Harrogate in Yorkshire in April for about a week if you'd like to see more than the printed words, Ian. More than happy to meet up with you and chat.

The original idea in the Ki exercises and tests of Ki Aikido is for the practitioner to build up substantive ki. I.e., it's practice. If you don't practice and/or don't know how to do these things, you don't build up real Ki or Kokyu powers. And sure, I'm aware that most people, if they claim they use Ki, are arbitrarily assigning the term to various normal functions.... hence you hear a lot of "we use Ki, too", when they don't really know what they're talking about.

The only problem I have with the Ki Aikido schools that I've visited is that generally the Ki skills were pretty low. It's like Tohei et al were correct in the idea that this is the important keystone of Aikido, but they didn't want to show too much.
Quote:
Competition in aikido - I'm with Ron here in that while I don't denigrate competition or find it abhorrent and against aikido principles, I also don't think it's the only way to introduce training with intent and non-cooperation. Whether it's the best attempt at mimicking a "real world" situation, I'm in two minds on, but I can see its attractions.
I've got a lot of experience in this, so I'll mention my opinion. If you don't spend time building up your Ki, kokyu, etc., and re-training your body radically, you'll never get any real Ki. Maybe a few odd bits here and there, but nothing more.
Quote:
Knowing exactly what ki is and recognising it - I wish there was a handy booklet out there for this one as I have to say that those who "know" haven't really been that convincing so far, I could do with some documented examples and (ideally) a list of practitioners so I can understand what they mean.
Most of it really needs to be shown. This isn't the right thread for a Ki discussion; if you'll formulate and articulate your questions on another thread, I'll try to lay out what I know and hopefully others will join in.

Regards,

Mike