View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #169
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States
Re: Starting an all-women's class

After reading the thread in its entirety, I have a few comments. It turns out that I am pretty much on the fence with this. I understand dojo's wanting to have more females. Heck, I am the only one that trains most of the time. Sensei's wife trains, but not that often (other then teaching the kids). I too have gotten used to the empty women's locker room and have grown accustomed to strewing my stuff all across the bench. It always throws me off when another female enters. Wait.... I have to share?

I think an all womens intro class could be a good thing to get their feet wet. Especially if they are trying to get over a problem with being that close to a male... or female for that matter. However, once that intro course ended, I would be interested in seeing if any of them would continue on. One poster previously stated that no one really came back. Perhaps an intro to aikido class would be best. Males and females could train together. If a female has a preference for training with another female, then fine. The course could focus on basic footwork, simple techniques, ukemi, etc. Something that will give them a good foundation and could be structured. It could slowly give them skill sets and allow them to gain some confidence.

I think a class like that might be more successful. I think a major issue with aikido is that you are just thrown in with everyone else. Sure, people are willing to help you, but it can be intimidating. You get shown a technique four times and your off to the races. It is an intricate art and you often don't get to work on a given technique long enough to grasp it before you are being shown something else. Then, to top it all off, the next class you go to, you don't do any of the techniques you were shown previously. It is a daunting and overwhelming process. I think that is the main problem with aikido.

It isn't an instant gratification style and you don't pick up on the movements so easily. I guess in the end, I can't say that an all women's course is a bad thing. I have taken a women's self defense course (RAD: Rape aggression self defense) and found it quite useful, but it was more along the lines of: learning to punch, kick, knee a guy in the groin, some basic throws, etc. At the end, we were tested with three attackers coming after us in full body red suits and we got to beat the crap out of them. HOWEVER, I also believe that a class should consist of a variety of people: male, female, tall, short, heavy, light, stiff, limber, rough, gentle, skilled, unskilled, etc.

I believe the more you expose yourself to, the more you will get out of the art. Limiting yourself in the beginning is okay I suppose, but to truly flourish, you have to spread your wings and try to fly. It is the only way to truly see the world around you.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.