View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 09:06 AM   #10
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: BJJ shows weakness in this street fight

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
Maybe Aikido would not have worked in this situation but I don't believe grappling with someone when there are 9 other attackers is ideal. The randori I am talking about is multi attacker randori and not so much to actually throw people but to just get the hell away and deflect some of the initial attacks to avoid being overwhelmed. I think Aikido randori excels in that context, and what I was trying to say is that this is a unique thing that Aikido has to offer and it should capitalized on more.
I think Michael has a good point.

Having survived a very similar situation to the one in the story, situational awareness, distancing and positioning are key in multiple attacker situations imho. I think the point about situational awareness was most highlighted where the narrator of the story said he backed into a tree and bumped his head and the attackers took that interval of distraction to jump him.

The story also says something about adrenalisation (something I think any self defence training needs to address) where the narrator runs a few blocks before realising he is stabbed. I think this is an area where competitive type practice with serious resistance can have a positive effect. As one becomes more conditioned to dealing with a certain degree of adrenal response from resistance training that has a certain degree of "danger", then one tends to be more predisposed to executing the most appropriate response to the situation (including running away) instead of the typical freeze response as the higher level brain crashes while trying to process data in the midst of the chaos.

Most of the BJJ, JJJ, MMA, Muay Thai, and Aikido folks I know who engage in some sort of serious resistance randori/sparring practice tend not to freeze when adrenalisation occurs, but respond differently. I think this may have something to do with training in an environment where one becomes accustomed to facing serious resistance and also understand how one's own body and mind reacts when faced with this sort of resistance and even danger.

Of course none of this is guaranteed fact. But from my understanding, "reality-based" self defence systems like RMCAT utilise Aikido-like evasion and positioning tactics as seen in multiple attacker randori. Of course it is tailored to teaching effective self defence in a short period so there is no philosophy here except to survive.

Personally I think Nike Defence (aka Run like hell) is a great technique for multiple attackers, assuming you can outrun your fastest attacker of course.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca