Thread: Gun!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2001, 03:09 PM   #38
KeithP
Dojo: Okinawa Aikikai
Quote:
Originally posted by aikilouis
I'd like to ask the instructors reading if they'd take the responsibility to teach techniques specifically designed to disarm a gunman. What would be their reaction if one of their students was killed trying to do that.
What about if a student is injured in an unarmed situation? Or a situation involving a knife? I do not think that an instructor should be responsible for the decision a student makes outside of the dojo. Hopefully the instructor has given the student the physical and ethical tools to make a good decision, but the responsibility for the decision should rest upon the student who chose to study aikido, got into a dangerous situation, and then used the art to extricate him/herself.

Quote:
Originally posted by
That is why military knifes have a blood groove in them.
Perhaps I am incorrect on this, but if the terminology of swords applies to knives, the "blood groove" is more accurately called a fuller. They were not added to swords for the purposes of breaking the suction of a wound, but actually to decrease the weight of the weapon. I believe that the fuller also increased the rigidity of a blade in much the same way a piece of paper is easy to bend if there are no folds, but much more difficult to bend perpendicular to any existing folds.

Keith Penner