View Single Post
Old 08-15-2001, 03:40 PM   #1
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
Kamae vs. Shizentai

In another thread about 'real world' aikido, the point was made that you might not be 'on posture' when attacked, and that set me thinking about kamae and shizentai.

I've been training in shodokan aikido for a few years, and in shodokan we usually practice technique from shizentai (neutral, or natural posture), rather than being in kamae before uke attacks.

It seems to me that aikidoka in other styles usually assume kamae before uke attacks, which makes me wonder:
Do you find it difficult to adjust to initiating a technique without being 'on posture' first ? Is it necessary to practice technique from different postures to be able to apply it from different postures, or does that just come with practice regardless of how you start the techniques ?

I'm told that our (Shodokan) habit of being in shizentai rather than kamae comes from Tomiki sensei's philosophy of "mushin mugamae" (no mind, no posture).

However, many of the people teaching Tomiki style aikido in the UK, although affiliated to the JAA, aren't really influenced by Shodokan honbu, and I've noticed that some of them tend to practice (in randori and kata as well as practicing individual techniques) in a very formal looking kamae. That got me wondering what other 'non-shodokan' Tomiki-style aikidoka do ?

( When I say 'non-shodokan' Tomiki style, I suppose I'm really talking about the Jiyushinkai, which I've read a little about on-line. Are there other organisations whose aikido is inspired by Tomiki sensei, but not influenced by Shodokan honbu and the JAA ? )

Is there a poll in this?

When practicing aikido should your posture be:
a) shizentai
b) kamae
c) depends
d) doesn't matter

Or am I just talking out of my hat?

Sean
x