View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #155
DH
United_States
Re: Aikido™ and Aiki…do. Where are we at?

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote: View Post
No worries. I'm not offended by the idea that I am dumber than my aikido teacher. He's probably got me by 40 IQ points... It is what it is. As far as martial IQ, well, I'm not in special ed - but until I found a tutor recently, compared to him I might as well haven been considered "martially challenged".

I got a tutor in college too for some complex Math. That's what you do when you really want to understand something and there is a disconnect in the transmission from current teacher to student for whatever reason. I'm not ashamed. I would be be ashamed if I knew there was good help and I was too stubborn to go after it - and it hurt my progress and therefore the progress of everyone under me. If you are going to teach, I think you have a responsibility to actively and continually research the subject.

Rob
I have to say that the last two posts by Ignatius and Rob are some of the best I have seen on where folks need to go.
Rob, the attitude expressed in that last post is great. It's a different kind of humilty and honest evaluation that has an edginess that goes right along with responsibilty to your own training and to those below you. The lack of shame or ego is refreshing.

One of my own stories is that I would come back from training and stand in a room full of guys -as their teacher- and tell them "We're gonna work on stuff tonight that I can't do" then proceed to stink up the place, and get thrown while I was training this stuff and failing. This went on for years with Judo guys and MMer's and wrestlers making fun of my efforts. "Heres your aiki for ya...." Till years later, I turned the tables on them. I could join in and fight-and did many times. but I kept opting for aiki as well. Many left, and I embarrassed myself more than a few times working on this stuff. Like you, I was never ashamed. I left all of that for the barn in the woods so I could improve on what was happening in my body. You've met a few of the guys from back then who stayed.
My point was that I think being willing to walk away from waza and walk headlong into this type of training training sometimes...costs.
I'd be willing to bet it always has.

I hope you never stop searching, digging and innovating.

Last edited by DH : 06-25-2008 at 08:36 PM.