Old 05-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #46
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Three Levels of Aikido

Quote:
Lee Crockett wrote: View Post
Mark,

Are you aware of the 4 levels of training and the 9 elements?
yes and no, what difference will it make to the quality of my practice?

Quote:
That is why it is only really through Iwama that O'Senseis Aikido is trying to be preserved. Kotai training, hard solid grabs, is not followed at most dojos in the world because it is really really hard. Blending is supposed to be achieved with strong phsical contact, not blending while moving, this is cheating as momentum takes over from technique.
Why quote this as aikido? you have said aikido is not technique, then you give an opinion about the 'right' way to do technique, odd.

Personally I find hard solid grabs are overrated, literally too easy to break someones balance when they do. It is much harder to shift someone who holds with relaxation, co-ordination and serious intent. But then what do I know?

To consider dynamic movement as 'cheating' is to reveal a lack of understanding of what constitutes an encounter.

Quote:
If Aikidoka do not have an open mind, then there will never be unification in the Aikido world. Look at all the reactions to the issues i have raised because it outside their realm of understanding. Wheres the harmony there?.
Who is looking to create unification in the Aikido world? Aikido is practiced in many ways and has been passed down through many teachers, O Sensei was good but not a god, he got what he got from others, he adapted and added. This will continue, as it should.

I'm done with this, good luck with your quest to let everyone know how little they know. And open up your own mind to the possibility that you may not have all the truth.

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.