View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #175
Linda Eskin

Dojo: Aikido of San Diego, San Diego, California
United_States
Re: Starting an all-women's class

Quote:
Anita Dacanay wrote: View Post
Yes, Mary and Linda, what you both say is very true indeed for people who are beginners, but still doesn't address in the least the issue of how few women show up at the dojo on their own in the first place, and how to expose/invite those women to try Aikido.
...the goal of getting people into the dojo who might not come without some special encouragement or accommodation ...(the one I thought this thread was addressing) is an issue of outreach, as Jonathan described, in order to address the needs of people who are not already signing up for classes, for whatever reasons.

If an all-women's introductory class got some new people to give Aikido a try...
I think I'm getting your point. :-) But I also think it's not only women who might need some special encouragement and accomodation. I don't think it's a gender thing. I think there are just as many men who dont know about martial arts, haven't heard of Aikido, would be very uncomfortable walking into a dojo full of sweaty people who appear to be fairly proficient, etc. It can be an age thing, a fitness thing, a confidence thing...

I'd rather see an "Intro workshop" or "Discover Aikido in an Afternoon" kind of thing, open to anyone. I dunno... Maybe there are a few things that need to be addressed privately, woman-to-woman, and man-to-man. But I'd have been really put off if I'd seen a Women Only class when I was looking for a dojo. I don't want to be some "special case" student, I just want to be a student.

Of course, I'm one of those people who fought my way into the football class in jr. high (and wood shop, and metal shop). I grew up flying, skateboarding, and working on cars. So my perspective is influenced by that.

A woman (girlfriend of a guy who was training) was in the dojo months ago, and I asked her casually if she'd ever done Aikido, or any martial arts. She seemed almost offended, and replied sharply to the effect of "Oh my goodness no, of course not!" Naturally the class started just then, and I didn't have a chance to ask her to elaborate, but I've wondered about that since. Did she think she wouldn't be capable? Or that it wasn't a suitable pursuit for a lady? Or what?

I'd be interested in hearing what your considerations were, and indeed, those of any women - or men - who thought Aikido was "not for them" somehow. I have known a few women who would've been stopped by the fact that they'd have to keep their nails short, for instance. Knowing what people's concerns are can help us address them better. Clearly, since there are lots of women doing Aikido (guessing about 30% at my dojo), simply being female isn't the issue.

Here's an example of what I'm thinking. If there are people who think they would look like a hippo if they wore all white, and their vanity is what's stopping them, then a message to address that might be "Do you let concern over your appearance keep you from following your passions? Come experience a way of being where your character is more important than your clothes." Well, something like that. I think that is a more empowering message than "Think you can't do Aikido because you are a woman? We think even woman can practice Aikido. Come give it a try."

I dunno... It's a thought...

Last edited by Linda Eskin : 03-14-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Minor elaboration on a point.

Linda Eskin - Facebook | My Aikido blog: Grab My Wrist

"Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train." - Morihei Ueshiba