View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #14
Josh Reyer

Japan
Re: "Hidden in Plain Sight" - Shinkage ryu menkyo

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
Ah. This is some customary substitute for reasoned argument among the scholarly gaijin in Japan, is it ?
If I could be assured of "reasoned argument" with you, I would engage in it, but I'm afraid I've been down this road before. I could write a long essay detailing what exactly Munenori was talking about with regards to "shuji-shuriken" "being/non-being", and so on, and how those particular concepts don't show up in aikido. But in the end, you'd simply ignore the point, semantically pick apart a few turns of phrase, and in the end just say that despite what these concepts actually mean in Shinkage-ryu, Ueshiba's interpretation was different, or even, it doesn't matter what the words mean or what they are used for, any particular interpretation by any particular person is perfectly valid. Heck, you've already started that with your last post.

So, no thank you, I'll pass on the "reasoned argument". Take my post in the manner in which it was intended: advice that your conclusions were not supported by an adequate base of knowledge. How you address that lack is up to you.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer