Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #229
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Spiritual and i/p

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
Graham
One last story and I let this drop.... Back in the 80's a fellow came out of no where, much like you, claiming skill and expertize. He was using Aikido as a tool to move on to what he really wanted. Aikido got him entrance into an existing community that could provide him with support. As I recall our dojo was ask to support him by having him in for a Saturday class...this was to present him to a new audience. Well he came and conducted class....he brought his own uke and used them only. He would not let any of us touch him.. I tried to grab a wrist and he pulled it back. His skill was kyu level at best. He has moved on to what he really wanted and seems to be quite successful......his Aikido really isn't any better and he never comes out.

He was there seeking acceptance and confirmation.....but not verification or validation by outside sources. This is the same approach you have taken...seeking confirmation and validation on the web and have found some who will. Much like this other fellow you refuse to seek verification and validation from independent sources. Maybe you will end up as successful as he seems to be....

As for politeness and good behavior.....it is like respect....it is given where it is earned and returned..

good luck with it all....

Gary
Thanks for the reasoning Gary. Shame you equate me with such a fellow. I'm not him. I need not or desire not to move into your community especially for your support. So ther'es a couple of differences.
I don't seek your acceptance or your confirmation. So far that makes me nothing like him.

I suggest it's you who feel I should want those things and therefor are confused by the fact I don't.

Politeness and respect ie: good behaviour does not need to be earned. Woah, all badly behaved youth I meet have that opinion.

Let me tell you a story.

A few years ago I had to go do a job at a top school in England called Eton. Now, I may have many views about how lacking the system is or how it isn't fair that those with money get the best quality education etc. etc. Anyway I turned up at the place and worked there for those two weeks repairing and painting windows.

The place was like a throwback to victorian times. There used to be a series caleed 'tom browns schooldays' it was just like that.

Here we had the cream of youth so to speak, it was like a factory churning out the future prime ministers, leaders of industry etc.

You know what? I've never met a bunch of more polite, respectful, well behaved folk in my life. Amazing.

There is no excuse for bad behaviour. This is in my opinion a fundamental difference between those of true budo and class and the 'brawlers' for want of a better word.

Tysons behaviour was thuggish. Lennox had class. Spot the difference.

Peace.G.