View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Slight expansion on jin & flexible frame

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post
If I could think of any disagreements with what you said I would post them..
Exactly. If I make a claim or assertion I should be able to back it up. If you have a problem with something I've said, you should be able to say "I disagree with such and such, specifically" and we should be able to thrash it out down to fine details. This cuts out the use of arbitrary terms (ones that can't be explained also down to fine details) and bland assertions. The only caveat I make is that "questions" doesn't mean that every vaguely curious dabbler gets to waste everyone's time by demanding free lessons as a guise for 'debate'.

One of the big giveaways of forums that make no progress is that they don't really debate anything.... they give opinions and assertions and they never get down to a close examination of the physical mechanics. Take a look at most forums and you'll find that there is almost no depth to the discussions (I wouldn't call them "analyses"). You usually get a lot of posturing around "our style", "my teacher", "we use spirals" (or other ungrounded terms rather than clear explanations), etc. What I call "buzzword" discussions. And decades later, most of the people involved in forums like this really don't know much more than they did when they started. The point being that if people are going to progress they're going to have to delve a little deeper.

2 cents.

Mike Sigman