Thread: Irimi Nage
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #67
Janet Rosen

Re: Irimi Nage

Quote:
Konstantinus Darwin wrote: View Post
But I think, ultimately, the uke at least must know the "choreography", that is: to keep running forward, nage will lead uke in circle and throw.
Well, I don't necessarily agree that uke's role is to "keep running forward" - not unless there is a logical reason to do so, as in, 1) it will continue an actual attack on nage's center or 2) nage provides no other choice because uke's structure is already fully dependent upon the connection to nage's arm and he will fall down if that support is removed.
In my view, uke DOES need to learn to follow where nage is leading in the sense of body awareness, overcoming the tendency many of us have as beginners not so much to oppose as to root because we don't know what else to do....
But to default to choreography, rather than learning to stay connected, can be taken to ridiculous lengths...as I've described before, for instance, an uke who grabbed my arm as the opening attack for a form of iriminage, and starts running in a circle around me before I have moved a muscle; he would have run in circles around me all day like a pony around a mill, because "uke is supposed to run forward" ....like the uke who knows you are supposed to do ikkyo and turns his back on you immediately after attacking....from a martial point of view, absurd, and it teaches neither uke nor nage anything meaningful.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield