View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #15
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States
Re: Leading your uke?

Quote:
Jon Reading wrote: View Post
Some of this may just be semantics. "Leading" falls into my bag of bad language used to describe movement within aikido. I am also not a fan of "leading from behind." Ultimately, the spirit of leadership is to solicit a unified direction from another body. If your partner is not following your leadership, then you are not leading anything.
You're right, same word different connotations.

Quote:
Under such circumstances you are moving only yourself in a coincidental direction as another body. Once the coincidental movement changes direction, you have no authority to re-direct that movement.
I don't need to re-direct uke's movement. It's a matter of staying ahead of it while moving with it.

Quote:
Often, we end up reinforcing our poor direction with either physical or verbal chastising. An example I think many of us experience is the "don't move there" lecture we receive when uke moves different from how nage desires [uke to move].
We don't have that lecture in our dojo. Every uke encompasses a unique set of characteristics that affect how they move; they're all different, presenting different challenges. I have learned to not expect anything from uke. Giving up expectations allows me to remain in the moment and occupy the center of our interaction no matter what uke does.

Quote:
You used an example of cart and horse. As I perceive that example, the driver's choice to sit behind the horse is irrelevant to the the fact the carrot must be presented in front of the horse and moved in the direction the driver desires the horse to move. Similarly, a driver using a whip to direct the horse must present the whip from behind to spur the horse forward. Both examples are not leadership, but rather aggravation.
The analogy was put forth merely to clarify the context of my use of the word lead. You are taking it to literally

Quote:
One of the things we practice as both uke and nage is moving with unity.
As do we.

Quote:
If uke is doing her job, she would be pursing your center...
Yes, pursuing nage's center is the goal of any attack.

Quote:
The idea of baiting your partner is difficult to accomplish if your uke if not following a carrot, but rather following you.
An example of taking the analogy too literally. To torture it a bit further, I am the carrot... and the driver of the cart.

Quote:
If you partner is smart, that will change their position and you have adversely affected your partner's ability to control you.
??? Perhaps a typo, but at no time does uke control me. And I encourage uke to make the attempt.

Quote:
I do not understand why I need to use language that is relationship-oriented to describe what is individual movement; I believe the term "lead" brings with it the connotation of a role within a relationship (i.e. if I am a leader, then my partner must be a follower).
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

Ron