Thread: What Kata Isn't
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands
Re: What Kata Isn't

Perhaps it would be more accurate, if we use traditional terminology, to distinguish between solo kata and partner kata which is more correctly prearranged kumite. I have posted previously that the three traditional components of Budo are kihon (basic movements/underlying principles embedded in the movements), kata (prearranged forms linking these movements together in transitional ways, essential for combat which occurs within transitions), and kumite (partner work ranging from structured to freestyle).
The difficulty for aikido is that people begin all three almost simultaneously. In Tai Chi, for example, solo work is often done for years whilst slowly learning the mnemonic forms which allow the practise of correct body linkage. Later push hands is introduced which differs from uke/tori relationship since the roles are continuously shifting. Still later some may wish to test their skills further in a more freestyle kumite (for example sanda).
All waza are kihon, kata, and kumite rolled into one. Three problems multiplied by two, driven exponentially by the variances of training models and goals existing in each persons mind.
Whew, its a wonder that people learn at all.I have been teaching for quite some years and do not feel in any way satisfied that I have solved this problem. then again many Japanese instructors solve it very easily by simply ignoring it.

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.