View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #86
Rink
United_States
Re: Getting High On The Mat!

Greetings,

I don't have the time at the moment to read every post, so I will make my comment short.
I read the first few post and saw that nobody had
also considered the fact that there is more then one
kind of Cannabis.
Cannabis Sativa is known as the
"Sacrament" or Sacred Herb. It is used in many different religions around the world to enhance meditative, spirituality,
and awareness experiences. Some of the most commonly heard about of these are the Coptic Church (christian), Ras Tafari (followers of Jah Haile Selassie) Cantheist religions also include religions of India and China including some forms of Buddhism (See http://www.cannabis.net/thc/ )
Not to mention almost all forms of Shamanic practices (Native American, European, African, South American etc.) use cannabis in one form or another, and if not; they almost always have a substitute.
Cannabis Sativa is the type of Marijuana that produces
the 'High' effect and provides alot more mental stimulation then Cannabis Indica. It is also the type that is used by alot of philosophical or spiritually driven people.
Cannabis Indica on the other hand produces the 'Stoned' effect which is alot more of a 'body high', the type where the stereotypical 'stoner' is fingered. Lazy, Couch potato etc. (Most cannabis users prefer Sativa, as it ensures a much more mentally charged time.) People who complain that marijuana "just puts them to sleep" smoked Indica, and missed out on an incredible experience, especially if it was going to be used in conjunction with meditation or some other such thing. I think that anyone who has the slightest bit of knowledge, and common sense knowns that Alcohol is incredibly more dangerous then Marijuana and it's intoxifying effects are far more unpleasent.
I personally am pro-marijuana/hemp/etc. However it is extremly important for me to note that I do not condone using it while practicing anything martial, nor do I think it is ok for anyone to drive while under the influence of marijuana or any other such thing. Smoking (with or without) students, friends, others is completly acceptable, but it should be off the mat, for the most part.
Well just the short version my opimion, Thanks for reading.
Edward Stapleton.