View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #28
Anthony Loeppert
Dojo: Aikido of Del Mar
United_States
Re: Ordered murder

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
I'd like to point out that, for those living in a democratic society, this is not a moot question, even if you aren't in the military yourself. If you're of the "it's all murder" persuasion, it's your responsibility to be voting for those who, even in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, wouldn't have gone after the perpetrators. Because we knew where they were, and we knew we couldn't get them without civilian casualties.
Who is we and them?

I was 24 years old on sept. 11th. I remember that day in a very strange way, because I had proposed to my wife on Sept. 10th.

I remember being upset. I remember wanting blood. Then I remember hearing George W. Bush explain the reason "why they hate us" is because of our freedom and we should keep shopping. "Wait, what?" That was like someone scrapping the needle across the phonograph for me. So I started trying to make sense of the situation as best I could. I had always assumed those in power were there because they were experts. I wasn't interested in geopolitics but there were experts I could trust to handle things on my behalf.

Well, come to find out... not so much.

Before we (speaking to other united states citizens here) went into Iraq. I knew it would be a boondoggle. I am on published record at the student newspaper at UT Arlington in Oct 2002 if memory serves.

I stood on a street corner, handmade sign, in downtown fort worth texas COUNTLESS times.

I've campaigned for Dennis Kucinich and Ralph Nader. None of it came to anything.

Nothing will come of this internet thread either. But I won't be quiet. The funny thing is, in these here United States of America, besides absurdly large bill each year which cuts into domestic services, it really doesn't matter what goes on beyond our borders to the non-military citizen.

And you know what, it doesn't matter to me that much either if only by choice. I'm not affected by ongoing war in my daily life. Most days I don't even think about it.

Quote:
So I'd say, cut some slack to those who agree to be our instrument in the world. Yeah, they agreed to it--but when someone gets cut, do you blame the knife, or the wielder?
OK how about I meet you half way? When soldiers are lobotomized upon service entry and/or can be reasonably compared to inanimate objects such as knives - I will certainly consider your viewpoint valid.

Anthony