Old 03-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Muneta and aiki

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
Muneta vs. van der Geest

2) ~2:10 you see his body enter fully as a unit. He doesn't need to step and regain himself, his whole frame simply pops forward about a foot. Again, I'm not saying, "Yup, clearly IT" but I do consider a movement like that to be indicative of genuine frame/structure. I don't however think it's necessarily "Aiki" because of how the movement affects (or doesn't affect in this case) van der Geest. Hard to say on a video.
The first thing that caught my eye was around 20-22 seconds, how Muneta is already difficult for the bigger guy to move.

All the way through the first minute, he's very hard to move and very upright. That was the kind of thing I felt in both judo and aikido with Mochizuki Sensei's best people. I pointed this out in some of the clips of Washizu doing gyokushinryu on the sutemi thread.

The judo teacher's teenage son became hard to move like that in a period of several months.

But in the video, I kept thinking that Muneta would go for an udemaki sutemi when his left arm was under vdg's right arm such as at 1:18 and 3:43 to 3:46 or so. I also saw a moment where Mochizuki's method would have ended in motare komi sutemi, sliding one leg behnd both of uke's legs and while trapping his arm, as at 5:53-5:54. And he does use a sutemi-like escape at about 4:24. If he could capture that smoothness, he could find other techniques. But I'm not saying I could beat him or that Mochizuki's aiki is the only thing. Just that this has the uprightness and hard-to-move qualities his people had.

And, of course, that final technique was really cool!

He was great.

And your other comments are interesting as well.

Thanks for posting that. I didn't see it on Facebook.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com