View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 09:47 AM   #16
Shane Mokry
Dojo: Mokurin Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido and Law Enforcement?

Mike,

Congratulations,
I also graduated in criminal justice. I did not however wind up as a police officer. I began working in the oil field for income through all the law enforcement job testing and background checks...you name it...When the time came, I just couldn't give up the money.

Anyway, I have lots of friends and relatives in law enforcement and corrections. The way I see it, most of the controlling and arrest techniques police use are modified Aikido techniques anyway. I have seen some really good judo techniques on cops too...usually on fleeing suspects.In my opinion training in Aikido and or Judo would benefit you greatly. You are going to get semi specialized police training anyway. Training in a dojo to learn proper balance breaking and fitting will only add to what you will be taught at P.O.S.T training.(If that's what they still call it) You will have more tools and a better understanding of how the techniques you are using work...resistance or not.

I would like to add that whatever you decide to study you seek out a teacher that emphasizes balance breaking. I say that because in my limited experience, and discussions and training sessions with my law enforcement friends, the most important yet seemingly always missing element from their techniques is balance breaking. I attribute this to the relatively short time a new law enforcement officer has to be trained and out on the street.

Good luck,

Shane