View Single Post
Old 05-06-2003, 08:34 PM   #49
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States
Quote:
Ian Hurst (happysod) wrote:
Using patterns of movement to affect your opponent is not only very difficult, but also relies on a more protracted combat than you'll have in a typical unarmed bout (with no rules).

I've certainly seen this used with weapons or "sport" boxing, but I'm not sure how it would be applied to a real (unarmed) situation. I'd be very interested to hear of any examples of this people have (but please, no "staring contest" tales)
Ian,

I gotta disagree with just about everything in this post. IF, stress IF, you understand the mental aspect of a person when they really attack another, the 'patterns of movement' used to affect them is not difficult nor does it require protracted combat as you claim. Actually the opposite, the movements are simple and time required is a smidgen over nothing. The key is in understanding what is happening and why, then not being afraid to fail and look foolish as you experiment. (Note the second is part is more important than the first.)

Personally I found that such movements to be far more affective and reliable in real life than in dojo or sport settings where the attacker is concerned with aspects 'other' than attacking. In the dojo or sport, folks tend to be far more fake and far from real. To understand those statements you will need to understand what is really going on in the attackers mind and how one attacks another. The study of being human.

As for real life situations, which I assume you will ask for next, a public forum is not the place I wish to discuss such matters. Actually, I will not put anything in writing for obvious reasons. You are welcome to read into that however you like.

mark