View Single Post
Old 04-26-2003, 11:17 PM   #27
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
always thought that in fencing, you're only allowed to attack from certain stances/positions. most of it with your hands straight.
It's been a while since I've done any fencing and even longer since I've done any foil. I believe there is a rule that you can't turn your back on your opponent...not sure though.
Quote:
bouncing the tip to the floor and then hitting them in the face... is that allowed?
In rennaisance period fencing it is. We fenced with schlagers, "in the round". We took an area and were allowed to move all over in it, instead of in just a straight line. The off-hand was also used to sweep blades away or to control the bell of the opponents weapon. You could also opt to use a second weapon (sword or dagger) or some type of parrying device either rigid (small buckler shield, baton, scabbard, etc.) or flexible (cloak, cape, etc). The entire body is legal target area. I personally found it a lot easier to apply aikido principles in this setting than I did in strip fencing.
Quote:
You know, Bronson, these wisdoms I learned in Seidokan about inviting uke in and also about the shodo o seisu of accentuating your openings are really missing for me when I go to dojos from other styles. Of course, there is a lot to learn in the other dojos that I may not have gotten in my Seidokan dojo, but still ...
I hear ya. I really like what I'm learning in seidokan, but I also like trying other styles and teachers because I like the other perspectives and interpretations.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."