View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #53
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: What is AIKI ? - fantastic video

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
I would love to see footage of this. Not because I believe it didnt' happen, but because I'd bet that it happened in a way that is unlike a sport match, but instead was a demonstration, which has a different context.

Marc, I don't think you are able to understand my point. People are constantly subjecting themselves to social confines. Lack of understanding this is what allows others to take advantage of your social confines. As a licensed psychologist, you should understand this better then most. To say Ushiro Sensei didn't expect to play by a set of rules is kind of silly. He didn't expect Kevin to pull out a gun and shoot him, because that would be crazy for him to do. Crazy because it doesn't fit into the normal dictates of this type of situations. That is a gross example of the kind of rule I'm talking about.

This is a powerful ability, I don't want you to think I'm saying otherwise. Again as a licensed psychologist you should understand how the power of the mind is amazing.
Chris:

They keep a very tight leash on video. Having seen the clips in question, it was definitely not a demonstration!

The issue of overt and covert rules, confines.... is entirely different from the issue of hypnosis. There are always certain assumptions that people make regarding any situation (regardless of whether or not they want to acknowledge it or not). A famous psychologist referred to humans as "telic beings" in that our reasoning capacities are always utilized to create understandings of our environment. Ushiro Sensei does utilize this understanding by utilizing his Ki in a manner that you perceive to be very different than what is occurring. We can make this a separate thread, since this is major thread drift. Basically, he talks about utilizing energy so that the person perceives your hand as if it is a live blade. Unfortunately, a lot of this stuff does not "translate" easily into words and has to be experienced first hand in order to prove and disprove certain hypotheses we have going into this situation. It is not a hypnotic process, but our minds our involved of all aspects of our existence, regardless of it being a conscious or preconscious experience.

Marc Abrams