View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #267
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Interesting Bob...same thought came to my mind concerning the gun analogy.

there certainly is a spectrum of force, paradiqms, rules (implied, specified, and assumed) in any situation.

The concept of "handled" can mean many things. As with you the concept of a handgun popped in my mind. I can pretty much handle any body with a empty hand attack, or even a non-projectile weapon outside of that fighitng range with a handgun.

So what is the point of developing a decision criteria surrounding the overall worth of an art based on whatever you personally decide is a good one to judge things on?

I will "one up" you with the hand gun. then someone else will "one up me with guided missles, or blow darts, and on and on.

The point is, not the comparison of whether Aikidoka can handle judoka, bjjers, on others within a set of parameters we establish.

The point is, IMO, what we can learn from the various encounters and experiences that can lead to a deeper understanding of ourselves and others we interact with.

Not trying to sound too esoteric or high brow on this...frankly I love a good challenge and would gladly meet anyone that wants to test their skill level against me.

I always win.

why? because it ain't about the being "handled" part of it for me, but the understanding and knowledge that we both gain from the encounter.

(I am both an aikidoka and a BJJer)