View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Black Belt Home Study Course

Charles: yes, I noted the testing (interesting the 1st kyu is missing). The say you have to test in front of the instructors (none of whom have provided any rank anywhere in aikido). I had a e-mail conversation with "Master Williams" on the 5th dan one which he pulled from the site. He claims no rank in Aikido yet you mayhave to test in front of him. He only claims aiki-jitsu rank. Also, if you note the following: "special situations or circumstaces will be considered if you are unable to test in person at the Shodan or Nidan level. Prior approval required from Sensei Reser or Williams. " I wonder how easy it is to get the exception.

I guess that means you might want to video tape something.

I feel you can learn a lot from video or tapes if and only if you have a basic foundation. But to go from no experience and expect to learn from a video it is highly improbable someone can learn something they cannot feel or practice with guidance. They might be able to mimic the physical movements if they are a gifted athlete.

Apparently, Reser put the 5th dan one on the ebay without permission from Williams and Williams pulled it. I cannot find anything about Reser's rank. He must be at least 7th dan if he is trying to issue a 5th dan.

The whole set up in my opinion was seriously questionable.