View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #22
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Why so many Haters of Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido?

Quote:
Graham Jenkins wrote: View Post

I've only been training a few years, but only the other night I was told off for collapsing as uke, and leaving myself exposed to strikes.
These are dan grades, and nobody says nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCk_g5-FhuM

Again with the ukemi...it's embarrassing.
Hi Graham,

what exactly do you find embarassing about the guy's ukemi in the Kolesnikov clip?

You may not rate ki aikido (what dilineates ki aikido from other styles is the training method,) but it shares the same philosophy and purpose of all aikido, which comes from the same source.

I could deconstruct many videos shown on you tube and tell you where I think people are leaving openings, not doing things right etc, regardless of style.

I watched Sensei Kolesnikov demonstrate a class when I was only a few years into training. I found his explanations good, and his technique looked smooth and pretty powerfull. I have since met a teacher who I rate very highly, who started his aikido career with him over 30 years ago. He spoke well of him too.

It is easy to dismiss, without fully knowing. If you have been only training for a few years, maybe concentrate on improving your own abilities to a level where you can confidently dismiss long term practitioners, from a place of real ability and knowledge.

The longer I practice (ki-aikido for 19 years) the more humble I have become as to the value, benefits and drawbacks of my own style and the different styles of others.

We are all here on a journey of improvement. I thought my style was superior when I first started, now I understand that that is wrong thinking, part of the 'fighting mind' my teacher berates his students for having - the thing that stands in the way of aikido.

Enjoy you training, let others enjoy theirs

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.