View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #123
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Ki-Aikido or Taiji - effectiveness in developing Qi?

My point of posting was to do two things.

1) Point out why I believe what I do and state my current thoughts on this.
2) Reinforce the comments that some people are show me people outside of demonstration. I do not want a video. I want someone to train with me in a MMA context. Prove it works, and that it can be aquired in a way just as efficent as martial technique.

See, it doesn't' matter if it works. Even assuming that it works we then have to ask, its it feasible. From what I've read here I have doubts to if the training is as efficient as my current training and worth sacrificing my current training to build this skill.

So for questions.

I have 8 hours a week to train for upcoming NAGA. Providing I have an instructor with the real internal skills. How many hours should be devoted to bjj, and how many to building internal strength. Now how do I hook these together into something actually usable?

It seems to me that my time is better spent drilling passes, escapes, and submissions, then sparing. Every hour I work on rooting is an hour I could be throwing resisting opponents and fixing flaws in my technique.

I used to train bjj 2 days a week, and aikido 3 days a week. Most of my aikido class supposedly focused on building ki. In fact I'd say 90% of the class is ki exercises. I've seen very cool things out of the brown belts and the instructors, however over the course of 2 years I have not found tangible benefit to ki training to help my fighting ability.

This is not to say it is worthless, but until I am proven otherwise, I have to conclude based on experience that my time more efficiently spent perfecting my technique in alive drills.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein