View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #46
gates
Re: Why so many Haters of Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido?

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Everyone looks at aikido differently. But as far as I know, Morihei Ueshiba thought Tomiki was doing aikido. It was Kisshomaru Ueshiba who did not think highly of what Tomiki was doing. Kisshomaru was the one who did not think Tomiki was doing aikido.

Mark
Hi Mark

Mr. Tomiki told me the following: "What I studied at that time was Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu, not Aikido. So I don't understand present-day Aikido".
(http://www.aikidojournal.com/article?articleID=445)

Seems that it was Tomiki himself was quite clear and open about the fact that what he was doing was more akin to Daito Ryu than the new Aikido.

Nowhere have I read K. Ueshiba explicitly or otherwise state that he thought badly of what Tomiki was doing, more that it was different and suggested a name change to avoid confusion.

In another interview with Kisshomaru it is suggested that in fact Tomiki did consider carefully changing the name but he had many students and was also afraid of being expelled by M Ueshiba. (Aikido Masters, Stan P) He was promoted to 8th Dan in 1940 so M. Ueshiba obviously thought quite highly of him too.

"Together with O'Sensei, I will forever remember Kenji Tomita as an unforgettable benefactor who is deep in our hearts. Perhaps as long as Aikido continues, the practioners of Aikido should offer him heartfelt prayers of appreciation" K. Ueshiba in reference to Tomiki in relation to the second omoto incident.
(A life in Aikido, page 218)

Regards
Keith

Enjoy the journey