View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 05:44 PM   #39
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
James - there is a difference between Explaining Aikido with Judo Principles and redesigning Aikido. One thing about Tomiki K. is that, althought he was way up there in both Judo and Aikido, he kept the practice quite separate. When you do Judo you do Judo, when you do Aikido you do Aikido. Mochizuki M. on the other hand made much more effort to integrate the two in day to day practice.
Quote:
james bennington (mantis) wrote:
From what I have read and heard, he did. He wrote a book called "JUDO & AIKIDO" in 1956, stating just that.

Chapter 4 is entitled:

"Explanations of Aikido Teqhniques According to the Principles of Judo"

a later quote:

"the author endeavored to explain the techniques of aikido by classifying and arranging them according to the principles of Judo. By way of conclusion he must now touch upon the techniques of randori (free style exercise) which are important as methods of practice. At present, these methods are being followed only in Waseda University"

His new method of teaching was not accepted at the Hombu dojo, although as you stated he did in fact teach there.
There are a lot of training methods that were not accepted at Honbu. Honbu did one thing, the late Saito M. did something else. Same could be said for Shioda S. and any number of the top deshi of Ueshiba M.. As long as Tomiki K. was part of the Aikikai, and as far as I understood he never left, his randori method was part of that organization. More to the point, certain Shihan that were not students of Tomiki K. did adopt his randori method for certain students. I was working with a man once who when I found out what style of Aikido I did started telling me stories of learning the randori method while at University under Kobayashi Shihan of the Osaka Aikikai.

One thing that is very noticable is the variation of teaching and technique within the Aikikai - styles founded by specific deshi tend to be much more strongly defined.

Last edited by PeterR : 03-15-2004 at 05:46 PM.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido