Old 11-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #347
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Ken McGrew wrote: View Post
Greg and Fred,

Ellis hasn't told us what Dobson Sensei allegedly rejected in the book (and in general) related to the importance of blending with momentum. If he has specific quote regarding that, then I may be persuaded. Despite your disparaging comments I am hardly someone who doesn't take evidence seriously. I am not someone who is unwilling to change views when warranted. But when weighing contradictory evidence one has a quandary. The written word can be understood. That's why people write. It's evidence. You favor the personal experience over other forms of evidence. How then could we ever resolve the differences between what Saito Sensei said and other direct students have said about he founder? Ellis is one person who knew Dobson Sensei well. I know a dozen people who also knew Dobson Sensei well, who had very in-depth conversations about some of these questions because they were working with him, and who tell me a different story. Dobson Sensei was known to bump an attacker off the line with his big belly, making an opening to the back where he could move. That is something far different from internal balance breaking. Of course, I've acknowledged that Dobson Sensie worked on internal unbalancing. But he also worked on other things. How should I weigh Ellis's views related to the totality of this evidence?
The written word is as timeless as the paper it is written on - however, it is only as accurate as the opinion and knowledge of the author at the time of composition, which can change before the ink dries. In other words, things change, new knowledge is learned and opinions and conclusion change as time goes by - I will give much more validity to those that have actual first hand expediences over any form of written knowledge in a heart beat. I have had first hand experiences with various historical events over the years due to my many years of military and other government service where I have NEVER once seen the actual written report of the event to accurately present all the facts as they truly occurred - some points are minimized while others are embellished, and some are even changed or left out in order to reflect a desired conclusion. So yeah, I take all written knowledge with a grain of salt until I can personally validate it with hands on experience AND corroboration.

You bring up blending a bit - so, let me just say that the quotes on blending you have presented from Saotome and Dobson can also very easily fit into Dan's model of aiki as well. keep in mind there is external blending and there is internal blending. You appear to advocate external blending into uke and then doing something to uke to unbalance him. In internal blending, the blending starts in nage by the balancing of yin-yang within, when uke attacks, uke's energy is blended internally with nage, and uke and nage become one under the control of nage - nage then unbalances uke by moving nage - nage maintains his balance but uke comes along for the ride and is unbalanced as the result - at this point, feel free to apply the technique of your choice - oh, by the way, all this happens in an instant at the point of contact with uke - no large timing movements from nage to position for leverage, etc.

Now of course, you do not have to agree with all of that, but that is OK - just try not to call it something else because you do not totally understand it. Also, don't bother responding to any of this looking for further discussion - I have exhausted what I feel is worth mentioning on the subject at this time.

Greg