View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #328
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Ken McGrew wrote: View Post
Are you claiming that Dobson Sensei specifically disavowed the things in the book that I quoted?

Which parts of the book are you saying that he disavowed?

I don't see anything in the book that is inconsistent with anything he wrote at other times, anything he said on the videos of his teaching, anything he said in the interviews (some which were done with Jim
Lee late in his life and are not published) as well as those which are published, everything he told various senior instructors who trained with him back in the day, and what he did and said at the counseling sessions that he conducted.

If you are going to claim that your teacher disavowed the things he wrote and said in order to support your points, then I would request that you go into greater detail. I am continuing Dobson Sensei and Lee Sensei's work, though in new directions, and you are saying that I can't rely on the things they said? Isn't it possible that he stressed some parts of the art with you that don't contradict the other sides?

The language used in the momentum quote sounds like Dobson Sensei speaking. I think that part was Dobson Sensei.

At any rate, if he told you things that contradict everything that I can quote from him, perhaps you would be so kind as to tell us what those things were in greater detail.
Wow.

There's really nothing like someone quoting from a highly contingent process document read through the filter of tendentious sectarian third- and fourth- hand information and hagiography telling someone with first-hand experience that he doesn't know what he's talking about and then aggressively insisting on a chapter and verse defense of that experientially informed knowledge, which, on the basis of past evidence, would only be used as the basis for another ill-informed round of noisy posturing. Or if there is, I don't want to know.

And trust me, I'm not saying that on the basis of some crazy claim that I'm above a round of noisy posturing from time to time.

FL