View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #133
DH
United_States
Re: Moving with your center

All I see you doing Graham is beng contrary about anything that is curiously a known deeper understanding. I haven't seen it go to any useful purpose. or you offering anything of value in return.
An example is your obvious lack of retaining center in movement and then defending it by saying we, as experienced observers, don't see the benefit of your falling apart, or denying that you do.

As Jon pointed out in Saotome's example, no one could replicate Saotome's moving at speed while retaining central balance. This is done (in part) by maintaining contradictory forces in a way you have not expressed an understanding of, nor display in your movement Six directions as expressed by your founder, has nothing to do with what you are talking about. We have watched you fall apart in slow movement. It is what it is. Just say you're happy with what you. Trying to state there is a good reason for it, or it didn't happen is a bit ridiculous.

You, can fantasize, assume, guess, try to re create or whatever you want to try to do to that age old model. A model that is already within what Tohei was teaching, it just isn't about cutting in different directions! I would suggest you embrace it as it will aid you in fixing your aikido.

I've seen it before, It's not knew to me. I've talked with Shihan who missed what their Japanese teacher had to say and were quite livid with me for pointing it out...furious even. Then we met and touched hands. Now they understand and are quite delighted to be keying in and understanding where and how the terminology meets the movement. All of this is bigger, grander, than a few people playing around experimenting, Graham.
Saotome, Ikeda, and others under them and some under, Chiba, Yamada, Imaizumi, and Suwata, realize this. I don't see them adopting the lessor path but are instead trying to get people to join the world of deeper martial understanding.

In the real world everyone doesn't get an "A" and people are better at things than others. It's how we grow, there's no shame in it. being too timid to compete or to be exposed leads to the lowest common denominator not the best we can be. This idea you have of all views being equal didn't work out for those trying to copy Saotome did it? Nor will it work for you when you meet someone who trains like many of us are training. You will fail to be able to do anything to them and they will have you on contact. All your theories and ideas will go out the window on that day.
Why? For retaining central equilibrium and absorbing energy and casting it aside or cutting through, for blending with an opponent....this way is superior. That's why your founder, as did his teacher before him as did Asians for many generations before them, all choose to train this way too.

Dan

Last edited by DH : 07-22-2011 at 09:59 AM.