View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #22
roswell1329

United_States
Re: Does your martial awareness have limits?

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote:
...if you feel you should have been able to behave more quickly, train with that in mind. Maybe also try to do more ushirowaza. I know in my experience I see a greater portion of training dedicated to front-oriented attacks...and when you have your partner try to be as sneaky and quiet as possible, it makes for some interesting training.
I do think awareness has limitations, whether it's martial or otherwise, but I also think we can develop it further than most people realize...or care to, for that matter.
This is great advice, Matthew. As it turned out, this experience had a great effect on me in the end. It was one of those "humbling" experiences that force us to re-evaluate our training. I found that my training up to that point wasn't as dedicated as it could have been (sometimes just going through the motions without really thinking about the techniques), but afterwards I had a new energy. I began focusing on keeping my center as much off the mat as on the mat. As a result, I feel I've made more progress in the last month or two than perhaps the last year. I also now wonder if by simply being more aware of my own center hasn't increased my martial awareness (or maybe just my martial preparedness) as a by-product?

I did also work more on my ushirowaza. Oddly enough, one of the best techniques I have for dealing with a similar attack is the same over-the-back koshi/kokyu nage that I originally thought of. Go figure.

Thanks everyone again for the great reponses!