View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #179
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States
Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Jason Rudolph wrote: View Post
I agree with you but as I have said, I do try to minimize the amount needed to effectively gain control of Uke. Its all about connection, but pain will often be there to some degree if one ever has to leave the contrived and safe atmosphere of the dojo or the seminar. Plenty of Shihan seem to actively use at least some pain intentionally. I really don't think Shioda was lying in his own book. When I watch Seagal sensei apply nikkyo on video at least it looks like pain plays some role. Now not necessarily the primary means of gaining control but it appears to be there. I will say this, when I at least have experienced a high level Aikido instructor or Shihan apply nikyo to me, the unbalance me enough before they apply the technique and it goes on so fast and to such degree that you have No Time to counter it. And this is not even bringing utemi into the equation prior to applying nikyo which most of us do not want to rely on I understand.
I've been away several years, but if not wrong this is a subject already touched. Due to my little knowledge I asked my sensei, since according to me it has to hurt.
When I told him that some people here said it shouldn't hurt he agreed at a certain extent. According to him it's up to uke. Sure you can make nikkyo hurt, but if uke follows the technique there is no need for pain. So basically pain gets involved when uke does not follow nikkyo.

And at this point I must say that I can witness it. I am not that great at ukemi, but for nikkyo I just used to go down on my knee and tap. Painful as heck. Sensei taught me that it's because doing that way I, not intentionally, create a resistance, I stop the natural flow of nikkyo. I started going all the way down to nage's side and the pain almost disappeared, it's more a pressure on the whole arm. Sure he can still make it hurt, but as uke I have (or better I should have) the skill to minimize if not get rid of the pain.