View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Subject/Tone of Threads

I don't think censorship is the particular issue. Topics can be discussed without name calling, posturing, or simply bad manners. In most traditional arts, we attempt to maintain some form of etiquette. Why does that have to go away simply because someone is sitting behind a keyboard? When threads start going back in forth with statements about someone's skills or knowledge being in question it detracts from meaningful discourse.

Perhaps a good approach would be to ask oneself a simple question. Is what I am going to put down adding anything to the discussion? Or, is it my opinion directed at another person? People may be discussing the same concepts only with a different perspective. Trying to understand the perspective rather than criticize it might be a more productive approach.

Yes, one can pick and choose their viewings. However, why should I have to do so? Why can't a thread maintain civility and discuss the topic without all the barbs? It wastes a lot of space and frequently deviates from the concepts/issues being discussed. If you seriously want to try to learn something from others, then you have to sift through the trash talk to get to the meat of it.