View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Leading the Blind

Hello Everybody,

A few weeks ago I taught at the annual Spring Training Seminar of the Yuwakai in the Netherlands. The Dutch instructor is Erik Louw, an Aikikai 6th dan holder, who is also Mokuroku in Katori Shinto-ryu.

The seminar was very interesting because Erik has a blind student in his Amsterdam dojo, named Peter. (I am sure that I should use a PC term like 'visually challenged', but the student in question needs a 'seeing' dog and has no issues with being 'blind'.) Erik has taught him from the time he was a beginner, but I am different--a visiting instructor who goes only twice each year.

So, for every technique I demonstrated, in addition to my regular uke, I also used Peter as uke, to give him the 'feel' of the waza. If I forgot, Erik would always call out and remind me to use Peter as uke.

Because Peter could tell where I was only from the sound of my voice, I could not simply call out his name. I had to go and get him from the line-up, put his hands into mine for a katate-dori attack, or tell him exactly where to strike for a shomen-uchi attack. I was actually quite astonished at his ability to 'feel' aikido. He took ukemi, even mae ukemi, with little problem and always knew where to 'find' me for the next waza.

I am getting older and recently had an operation to remove a cataract from my left eye. My eyes are now very good, so it was somewhat chastening to be able to train with my namesake, who is much younger than I am, but needs a seeing dog for his daily activities. In the dojo, however, he is always carefully looked after by the other students. After the initial demonstration, one or two students grab hold of him and take him through the waza.

I have known Erik Louw for many years and his dojo is unique in many respects, combining serious aikido training with equally serious training in Katori Shinto Ryu (I suppose the pivot here is the Sugino dojo in Kawasaki, but Erik's mokuroku was given by Otake Sensei). However, the serious aikido training also includes students like Peter.

So I am curious. Are there any other dojos in the Aikweb universe that cater for blind students?

Best wishes to all,

PAG

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 05-01-2009 at 06:23 AM.

P A Goldsbury