View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #264
Jonathan
Dojo: North Winnipeg Aikikai
Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
if you video the event, folks watched the video and would comment "that's fake!" however, to you, you felt it and it wasn't fake. you felt it first. you might not understand it, but you felt that it could be done. you have the baseline. folks didn't feel it first, have no baseline to work with or even to discuss. that's the point: go feel first, then discuss. with a common experience, a better discussion can take place. communication is difficult even face to face, misunderstanding happens all the time.
Hmmm...I think you missed my point. I don't think I said that feeling internal power skills wasn't helpful. I think it is. But I don't think it is absolutely necessary to understanding how to develop those internal skills. If you can't get to the folks who could give you a first-hand experience of these internal abilities, are you really completely unable to train to develop them? I seriously doubt it.

And, yes, misunderstanding happens all the time, which is why people ask questions, clarify statements, think things through, etc.

Jon.

"Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."