View Single Post
Old 06-09-2002, 11:15 AM   #3
Brian H
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
experimental aikido

My way of experimenting in the dojo is kind of amusing. I the course of regular class I try and picture a "real world" stituation and let that guide my technique. As a policeman, I carry alot of equiptment and a popular consideration for my training is "how can I do this and still constantly protect and have access to my weapons and equiptment?" Keeping this in mind forces me to constantly access my posture, timing and ma'ai. Often I imagine I have my hands occupied (holding weapon/radio etc)when under attack and figure out how that effects techinque (I have found that it largely does not effect technique at all - aikido is cool)

example 1: imagine yourself in a situation where you have a gun in a proper two hand grip, when someone grabs both of your wrists with two hands. Execute Ryoute Dori Shiho Nage. The resulting "pin" is amusing.

example 2: image yourself in a crowded bar. You work your way through the crowd when someone ceases your wrist in apparent attept to steal your beer. Can you deal with TheEvilBadMan (beer theives have lost the right to be called Uke) 1) without spilling your beer OR 2) go about your business of drinking your chosen beverage WHILE dealing with TEBM. (OK, I watch way to much TV and was looking for some way to liven up extended irimi and kokyu nage practise)

To me this is a way for me to get beyond "how do I do this technique" into the realm of "why would I do this technique"