View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 11:00 PM   #17
asiawide
Re: Structure. Leading. Atemi

Quote:
Jim Redel wrote: View Post
If you are standing with weight equally distributed across both feet and you unweight one so that you can move it, and even though you certainly don't fall over have you unbalanced yourself? (That is, is your balance less than it was?)

If you are standing upright and you bend over, say as to touch your toes, and even though you certainly don't fall over, have you unbalanced yourself? (That is, is your balance less than it was?)
There is surely unbalancing but martial movements should try to AVOID or minimize (not to fall over) it.
This is well known bauga walking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t29SuJ_0-8c

There is no weight for the moving leg while keeping weighted one leg. And the weight is distributed later after the moving leg landed on floor. This is try to minimize unbalancing as much as possible while moving and it makes body heavier. For the same reason, you can carry uke firmly while being more balanced. Also one leg standing is sometimes stronger than two legs.

When I touch toes by bending over, there is surely unbalancing too. Also I can be less balanced. But I(or my small brain) is trying to balance myself while doing it.

Quote:
And yet, the act of moving is inherently the act of intentionally unbalancing oneself. (We do it so often that we don't give it a second thought.) So, in the extreme, always maintaining good balance would mean to never move. Clearly this is not Aikido.
Unbalacing or less-balanced is inevitable while moving, but we can try to maintain good balance while moving too.